“I don’t get a lot of time to sew”. That might sound like a bit of an oxymoron from someone who owns a fabric shop.
But it is true.
As with most people who run their own businesses the work other people get to see is only about 20% of what actually needs to be done. The rest of the 80% of what happens is often done behind the scenes or during a late night at home on the kitchen table.
So I have to make the most of any time that I do have to sew.
In fact I had booked this week away from the shop so I can actually sew stuff for me. I knew there were certain things I needed to get done this week as a matter of course – a business doesn’t just run itself, so I made sure I designated a certain amount of time to those. But in the weeks before hand I knew that I needed to plan out exactly what I wanted to sew so that I could get as much done as I could.
Because I usually sew a few projects in one go I like to make sure that I have everything to hand that I know I’m going to need. There is nothing worse than getting into a sewing project and finding out that you need half a metre of ¼” wide elastic – or whatever, and then have to go hunting around your sewing room or physically go shopping.
So I do make a plan. The plans I use for sewing for myself are similar to the ones I use when creating a new pattern. They contain all the information I need to make sure the project goes as smoothly as possible. You can download and print off a copy of the Project Planner to help you plan too.
I also include a bit of space on the second page to evaluate how the project went. It can be really useful to note down any tricky areas or things that you would do differently. If like me you have a few patterns that you return to time and time again it can be very helpful to remember to spend more time on a particular step to make sure you get it just right, or to miss out any steps if you don’t want to add a particular feature.
One of my goals this year is to try and streamline the way I work. My brain just doesn’t work in a logical linear way and I do find myself….oooh fabric!! getting distracted easily. So I find that I am looking at ‘process and systems’ more closely at the moment to see if I can find ways of increasing my efficiency. Planning definitely helps! Once it is out of your head and on a page it’s one less thing to think about.
So I would highly recommend planning your sewing if time is limited, or even if it’s not it can just help you sew better.
Do you plan? And if so does it help? Or are you more of an impulsive sewer?